21 totally free things to do in Dartmouth
Holidays can be expensive. We get it! The cost of keeping everyone entertained can quickly add up, especially if you have lots of different interests in your family. The good news is that if you are staying in Dartmouth in Devon we can help. Save your pennies with our round up of free things to do in Dartmouth.
Whether you are looking for a few thrifty things to do in-between special days out in Dartmouth or you want to keep your activities low cost throughout your stay, there’s plenty of options. You can easily fill you days out with one or more of these suggestions:
Free things to do in Dartmouth with kids
1. Visit one of South Devon’s best beaches.
2. Go rock pooling at Castle Cove.
3. Try crabbing from the Embankment.
4. Let the kids loose on the Coronation Park playground (don’t forget a bucket and spade for the sand pit).
5. Play a ball game in Coronation Park.
Free things to do in Dartmouth: history and heritage
6. Download and follow the Dartmouth Mayflower Heritage Trail.
7. See the Pilgrim Statue looking out to sea from Dartmouth’s South Embankment.
8. Look through the gun ports of Bayards Cove Fort.
9. Step inside Dartmouth’s oldest church, St Petrox, which has sat at the mouth of the River Dart since the 12th Century.
10. Visit the Sherman tank at Torcross and find out about Slapton Sands’ role ahead of the D Day Landings.
Free ways to appreciate Dartmouth’s unique landscape
11. Go for a swim in the sea. Warfleet Creek, Sugary Cove and Blackpool Sands are good places to take a dip.
12. Spot seals in the River Dart.
13. Walk the South West Coast Path to Little Dartmouth.
15. Go bird watching at Slapton Ley Nature Reserve.
Free things you can only do in Dartmouth
17. Stroll along Dartmouth’s half mile long Embankment that stretches the length of the town.
18. Browse Dartmouth’s 19th Century Old Market.
19. Watch the comings and goings of Dartmouth Steam Railway from a river side bench.
20. Watch the changeovers of Dartmouth Lower Ferry.
Where to stay in Dartmouth
Looking for places to stay in Dartmouth? Find the perfect Dartmouth holiday cottage with us. We have accommodation in town with parking as well as self-catering properties in nearby Dittisham, Stoke Fleming and Strete.
We know all of our properties first hand. Contact us for a chat.