Things to do in South Devon – attractions open this summer
Welcome back to Devon – we have missed you! While the summer of 2020 will be a bit different to the usual holiday season, we still want you to have a wonderful time and take away lifelong memories. That’s why when you are planning your holiday it’s important know which Devon attractions are open before you visit, particularly when it comes to things to do in South Devon in 2020.
Here’s your guide to the Devon attractions open this summer, as well as days out and places to visit when you are on holiday in South Devon.
If you are still looking for somewhere to stay in Devon in July, August or beyond please contact us about our South Devon holiday cottages.
Please see our latest guidance for guests.
Visit these Devon attractions open from July 2020
If you are visiting South Devon with children then you’ll be pleased to know that many family attractions have reopened. Each has worked hard to introduce extra measures to keep visitors safe.
Be aware that some attractions have to be pre-booked. Please check each attraction’s website before you visit.
Here’s which Devon attractions are open or opening soon:
- Crealy Theme Park and Resort – open now
- Woodlands Family Theme Park – open now
- Totnes Rare Breeds Farm – open now
- Pennywell Farm – open now
- Babbacombe Model Village – open now
- Babbacombe Cliff Railway – open now
- Go Ape Haldon Forest – open now
- National Marine Aquarium – now open
- The Golden Hind – open now
- Dartmouth Steam Railway – reopening 7 July
- Paignton Zoo – reopening 8 July
- Dartmoor Zoo – reopening 8 July
- Dartmoor Miniature Pony Centre – reopening 10 July
- Kents Cavern – reopening 11 July
- Bygones – reopening 11 July
- English Riviera Wheel – reopening 11 July
Remember if you would like to go to any of these Devon attractions please visit their website for the latest updates. Here’s the things to do if you want to escape the crowds in Devon.
Stroll through Devon gardens and country parks
If you prefer a stroll around gardens or a country park then the summer is the ideal time to get outdoors around Devon.
Here are the country parks and formal gardens that are open in South Devon this summer:
- Bicton Park – open now
- Devon sculpture park – open now
- Powderham Castle (grounds only) – open now
- Canonteign Falls – open now
- River Dart Country Park – open now
- Haldon Forest Park – open now
- Cockington Country Park – open now
Dartmoor National Park is a stunning place for a proper hike. Car parks and toilet facilities have reopened for the summer and Dartmoor National Park’s visitor centres reopen from 25 July.
Walk around National Trust properties
Many Devon National Trust properties have opened their grounds and gardens to visitors this summer. Visitors (members and non-members) must book parking in advance.
Here are some of our favourites:
- Saltram House near Plymouth
- Buckland Abbey in Dartmoor
- Greenway near Galmpton
- Coleton Fishacre near Brixham.
National Trust car parks have also reopened. Find full opening details for these Devon attractions on the National Trust website.
Visit South Devon beaches
When you think of things to do in South Devon, visiting a beach is probably top of your mind. The very best beaches in South Devon are always open but expect some to be busier than usual on hot days. One where it will be easier to find lots of space is Slapton Sands.
Many Devon water sports providers have also reopened for paddle boarding, kayaking and surfing adventures. Find out the best places for water sports in Devon.
Play a round of golf
Golf clubs in Devon are open. Here’s where you’ll find the clubs in South Devon.
Enjoy Devon’s wildlife
While we were all in lockdown Devon’s wildlife was thriving. Here’s the best spots for wildlife and birdwatching in South Devon.
Summer holidays in South Devon
We hope you now have plenty of inspiration for your holiday in South Devon.
Would you like some advice on South Devon cottages to use as your holiday home from home? We have holiday properties for couples and for families of all sizes. Get in touch so we can help you plan the perfect post-lockdown staycation.